Friday, January 4, 2008

Winter break

Well, winter break is almost over and I'm happy to report that Maddy didn't drive me crazy. She had two weeks off from school. I was dreading it to be honest. That is 10 days of being home alone with two kids. One of them being very bored and used to having lots of kids to talk to. But the first week Larry was home on Monday and then Tuesday was Christmas and then she went to her dad's until Sunday night. Then the second week Larry was home Monday and Tuesday. So really out of the 10 days it was only 3 days that I had both kids home alone. Not too bad. The first two days we went to the park and then out to lunch. Then Friday Maddy had a doctors appointment and then I went to school to find my classrooms and buy my books. It was actually kinda nice having her home. We spent some good time together and I'm sad to see her go back to school on Monday.

I made two things from my new cookbook this week and in my opinion one out shines the other. So here it is. We got some fresh sour dough bread from the store to go with it and it was YUMMY.

Vodka Cream Pasta

Ingredients
12 oz Pene
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 shallots, minced
1 cup vodka
1 cup chicken broth
28 oz crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup heavy cream
20 leaves fresh basil, shredded or torn

Directions
1. Put a large pot of water over high heat for the pasta. When the water boils, add salt and penne. Cook according to package directions to al dente. Drain.

Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add evoo, butter, garlic, and shallots. Gently saute garlic and shallots, 3 to 5 minutes, to develop their sweetness. Add vodka and cook to reduce by half, 2 or 3 minutes. Add chicken broth and tomatoes. Bring sauce to a bubble, then reduce heat to simmer. Season with salt and pepper.

Stir cream into the vodka sauce. When sauce returns to a bubble, remove from heat. Toss hot pasta with sauce and basil leaves. Serve immediately.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Front Porch