Tuesday, January 15, 2008

L is for leek

Mesa Community College makes me pregnant. Lol. Well, I’ve taken two semesters there over the past 7 years, and I got pregnant both times. In 2000, I took two classes. Psychology and Art History. I got pregnant with Maddy and didn’t return until 2005 when she was old enough to go to the daycare they have there. I took, Sociology and Economics. I got pregnant with Connor and didn’t go back. Maybe I should have taken Sex Ed. Haha. Do they teach that in college? I don’t know. But anyways, I start school again today. I’m taking Physics and World Religions. Hopefully no one will knock me up.

Connor is learning his letters. He is so interested in them. My brother in law got him this toy that goes on the fridge. It has all the letters as magnets and you can take the letters and put them into the base and it says the name of the letter and the sound it makes. I hope that all made sense. Anyways, Connor loves it. He even knows a few of the letters. He gets confused with “T”. He thinks it’s an “I”. And what is even funnier about it is that he will point to his ear when he says it. And he says it so sure of himself. It’s like he is scolding you. “I” he yells while looking you dead in the eye and pointing to his ear.

So I made a new recipe last night. It was pretty good. It is Flank Steak and BLT mashed potatoes. The mashed potatoes were great. The flank steak was just ok. Well, I couldn’t find “flank steak” so I just got something else. Maybe that was the problem. I don’t know but here is the recipe and if the potatoes look/ sound good to you then try them cause they were yummy. On second thought I’m just going to put the recipe for the potatoes and that’s it. Less typing and the flank steak didn’t turn out that good anyways.

BLT mashed potatoes

Add Ingredient Add Divider
If you want to change the order of the ingredient list, just drag an ingredient to a new location.

Insert a divider to separate ingredient lists for each part of the recipe." shapes="ingredientHelp" border="0" height="12" width="9">

Ingredients

1-1.5 pounds small new red-skinned potatoes
1 leek, trimmed of tough tops
4 slices thick-cut smoky bacon
1 small can diced tomatoes, well drained

1/2 cup sour cream

salt and pepper

Add Cooking Step
If you want to change the order of the directions list, just drag a step to a new location (it will automatically re-number itself)." shapes="stepHelp" border="0" height="12" width="9">

Directions

1. Cut larger potatoes in half, leave very small potatoes whole. Place potatoes in a small pot and cover with water. Cover pot. Bring water to a boil, remove lid, then cook potatoes until tender. 12 to 15 minutes.

Cut leek in half lengthwise. Chop into 1/2 inch pieces. (not the tops, throw those out) Place leeks into a bowl of water and swish, separating the layers, to release the dirt. Drain leeks in a strainer.

Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add a drizzle of evoo and the bacon. Cook bacon until it begins to crisp and has rendered most of its fat, 3 to 5 minutes. (Ashley here: It doesn't say to cut the bacon first but next time I am going to chop it up first. Scissors make it easy. I think I will also cook it a little longer too) Add leeks and cook until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and heat them through, about one minute.

Drain potatoes and return them to the hot pot. Smash potatoes with sour cream and the BLT mixture. (bacon, leeks, and tomatoes) Season with salt and pepper.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe Maddy will gat another brother out of this, YEA!

Unknown said...

get

 
Copyright 2009 Front Porch