Thursday, February 28, 2008

Junior Achievement

So I’ve decided to volunteer. I seriously have had volunteering in the back of my mind for about 8 years now. It’s hard to find a place that is interesting and doesn’t seem like work. First off, you would think that if you even just whispered your name to a non-profit they would be all over you. But it’s not that way. It’s like getting a job. You have to submit your stuff, then follow up, blah blah. Then you have to work the hours they say to work. It’s a pain. If I wanted to do all that I would just go get a job. Ya know?

But a few years ago I heard of Junior Achievement. They have a program that goes into schools and teaches the kids about finance and business. It’s really cool. I went to their training program yesterday and I’m so impressed. They give you all the materials you need along with a lesson plan. They set you up with a teacher and then you contact the teacher and set up a time to go in. The actual lesson is about 30 minutes and you go once a week for 5,6, or 8 weeks depending on the grade level. I got second grade. I will be talking to them about businesses and jobs in the community.

But what post would be complete without a little gossip? I can’t be all flowers and candy can I?

So the trainer person is talking to me about which school is close to where I live. Apparently she has never been east of the 101. But anyways, we decide on a school. I can’t even remember the name now, but a few minutes later she comes back and says it’s probably not a good school for me since it’s a very challenging school. And being my first class I might want to start with something easier. Ok, sounds good to me. But she goes on to say that this school is “economically challenged” and the kids have less parental supervision. Wow. I have no doubt that is true but don’t you think that those kids then need this program even more? Later in the class she was saying how the only way they can get volunteers into the “economically challenged” classrooms is to do corporate sponsors and have a big group of employees come down and give the whole program in one day. Which sounds fine and hopefully these kids are getting everything the kids in the “rich” schools are getting. It’s really sad. They are disadvantaged in every way. No wonder it’s so hard for them to break the cycle.

Oh what a downer… here’s a pick me up…

In my class there was this guy, “Mr. Slick”. When I first sat down I noticed he was reading a book by Jack Canfield, whom I love. He co-authored the “Chicken Soup for Soul” series and also wrote one of my favorite books called “The Aladdin Factor”. I wanted to talk to him about it and maybe suggest “The Aladdin Factor” to him but he was to busy being slick to be interested in a lowly housewife. We had to go around the room and say our name and a little something about ourselves. Well, Mr. Slick’s real name is Lance (how perfect) and he owns an advertising agency (also perfect). It’s too bad he thinks so highly of himself, cause he missed the chance to talk to a really cool chick!

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Front Porch