Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Chicken Cacciatore Subs

I'm working on putting some ads on this blog. I've been reading around about how to make money from your blog and there are people who have actually quit their jobs from the money they make on their blog. It would be a dream come true if I could actually make a few bucks from telling stories about my day. How weird. But if you see an ad and you want to click on it, feel free! You will be putting gas in my tank.

Oh, and Connor's head bump is much smaller and he still knows all his letters. So nothing fell out.


So for my new recipe of the week I made Chicken Cacciatore Subs (sandwiches really). They were very spicy! I didn't really like them, but that didn't stop me from eating two of them! I probably won't make them again cause they were too spicy for me and Larry didn't like the peppers and onions. Not a glowing recommendation I know. But they were good... just not to us.

But as a silver lining I got to use the broiler. I never knew what that was before. I just turned it on and then had to figure out what got hot. hehe. I did figure it out.

Here they are....

2 tablespoons extra vigin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Grill seasoning blend, such as Montreal Seasoning by McCormick or salt and pepper, to taste
4 sub rolls split
2 cloves of garlic, cracked away from skins with the flat of a knife
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 large portobello mushrooms caps, sliced. (I skipped these)
1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 large onion, sliced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup dry red wine, or chicken or beef broth
1 can (14 oz) crushed tomatoes
2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
1/3 pound deli-sliced provolone cheese

Heat a grill pan or large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Drizzle olive oil on chicken, making sure it's coated, and season with grill seasoning or salt and pepper. Grill or pan fry for 6 minutes on each side. Set aside.

Preheat the broiler. Place rolls on a cookie sheet and lightly toast them, remove, but leave the broiler on.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, the garlic, red pepper flakes, mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, and oregano. Saute veggies and season with salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes, then add wine or broth. Scrape up tasty browned bits off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon or heat safe spatula. Add tomatoes and parsley. Slice chicken breasts on an angle and set into sauce. Pile chicken and veggies into sub rolls and cover with sliced provolone. Place sandwiches on a cookie sheet and melt cheese under hot broiler. Serve.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Front Porch