Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I didn't know they had Angels at the zoo.

I was the recipient of a very generous act today. My neighbor, Sarah, has a season pass to the zoo. Since Maddy is on spring break this week she offered to take us all to the zoo for free. But this wasn’t the generous act, keep reading….

We get to the zoo and it is packed. I could tell as soon as we parked Sarah was having a bad mommy day of the worst kind. I felt bad. I’ve totally been there. We’ve all been there. It was just one of those frustrating days where every thing goes wrong.

We unload five kids, two strollers, and countless bags and walk about a half mile to the entrance of the zoo. We stand in line for about 20 minutes before we realize that we are in the wrong line. So we move over and stand in a different line. We finally get to the front and Sarah realizes she doesn’t have her wallet. So we move our caravan over out of the way and she runs back to the car to find it.

Sarah comes back from the car without her wallet. It’s lost. She is more upset that ever and starts digging through her bag on the verge of tears. She can’t find it. I feel terrible for her. We obviously can’t go into the zoo if she doesn’t have her wallet. Besides, she needs to get home and cancel her cards. So we tell the girls that we won’t be going inside. Maddy starts to cry her big dramatic attention getting cry. The hands over the face sobbing that she has been perfecting for the past six years. Which seeing Maddy all upset just makes Sarah more upset so she starts to cry, which makes me start to cry. So we are all standing there crying, but also laughing at the ridiculousness of it all.

Just then a woman leans over my shoulder from behind and takes my hand. She says something like “Here, take your kids to the zoo.” I look down and she has handed me $100 bill. I’m not kidding. $100! I couldn’t believe it. I tried to give it back but she wouldn’t take it and I was so shocked that I didn’t really do anything. The whole thing just made me cry even more. I go back to the lady who is almost at the front of the line now and I insist that she take it back. I tell her we are not going to the zoo either way and we really are fine, we don’t need the money. I’m saying this all though tears mind you. I was laughing and crying and shaking. I was just totally blown away that someone would do this.

So we left the zoo. When we got back to the car Sarah did find her wallet, luckily. So that worked out. We ended up going to a park and having a picnic. The zoo just wasn’t meant to be.

BTW: We have the money set aside and will do something fun together.

And on the recipe front. I did make a new one this week but I never posted it. There was a delay because I set up a new site to keep all my recipes on and then I can just link to it, rather than post the whole recipe every week. So now I can just say....

I made Lemon-Thyme Chicken this week and it was awesome. I'm going to make it again asap!



0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Front Porch