Thursday, May 22, 2008

I have a first grader!!

Well, Maddy is finished with Kindergarten. I'm kinda sad. She came home today with all her stuff in her backpack. Her name card from her seat, a very used pack of crayons, a pair of scissors with the name "Madison" written in sharpie on the side. All the tools she used to create her masterpieces during the year.

She also had her fourth and final report card. And I'm happy to report it was the best one yet! They don't do A B C type grades, they do 1 2 3. 2 is satisfactory and 3 is above grade level. Maddy has gotten 2s in everything except for Phonics, where she has gotten a 3 each term. But today she got 3s in almost every single category. There are 13 different areas and she got nine 3s, and the rest 2s. Wohoo!!! Go Maddy. Her teacher wrote: "I have enjoyed having Madison in my class. She is ready for first grade. She had trouble identifying a nickel. Have a super summer!" That kinda made me laugh.

Did I mention that Maddy was all freaked out about going to first grade? It has been a source of great stress for her. I tried to reassure her but she wasn't having it. She didn't want to go. Until one day when she finally realized that first graders weren't that scary. I think she thought that first graders were the big kids. Like maybe the sixth graders. I don't know, but I'm glad she figured it out.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Front Porch