Monday, November 24, 2008

Yay for Thanksgiving!

Well, I just finished my grocery shopping for Thanksgiving dinner. Which happens to be my absolute favorite dinner of the whole entire year. Yay for Thanksgiving!

When I was a kid I would spend Thanksgiving with my dad. And since I only saw him two or three times a year, it was pretty exciting. We rarely even stayed in the country. Which is strange when you think about. It is Thanksgiving after all. Why are we going to Mexico, exactly? But we did. We traveled. Always someplace luxurious and fancy. Which was fun. We would have Thanksgiving dinner prepared by french chefs. Which is odd. I remember one year we were served "vegetable pie" for dessert. It was their take on pumpkin pie. I can just picture them in the kitchen trying to figure out this strange American dessert.

"I remember something about a pie made from some kind of vegetable."
"Well, which vegetable?"
"I don't know... just use them all."

Around the time that tradition ended my dad opened a bed and breakfast up in the mountains. So quaint and beautiful. He would host huge Thanksgivings. He had the space for it. I would go spend the weekend up there and people would come from all over. The place would be filled with folks. The views were amazing, the air crisp and clean. It was sweaters, turkey, family and friends. It was hot chocolate and porch swings with mountain views. Pictures and smiles and squabbles over whose recipe to use. Kids running around and a dog that could play a killer game of fetch. A thanksgiving straight out of the movies.

Then, after Maddy was born, my roommate invited me over to her parents house for Thanksgiving. And while I was there I met her brother, Larry. My husband to be. The love of my life. Not to many people can say they met their spouse on Thanksgiving day. We ate, played board games, hung out on the porch and laughed. Then we all went to Larry's house and watched movies until it was much to late for me. We had fun. And I had no idea that we would spend the rest of our Thanksgivings together.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Front Porch