Sunday, November 16, 2008

At the carwash

Connor and I took the van to the car wash the other day. Oh my gosh it was so gross. The windshield was so dirty it had the "dirt M" across the top, where the wipers can't reach, as if the bird poop streak down the door wasn't enough. I realized I've been silently waiting for Larry wash it. It was at that moment I decided I am, in fact, old enough to take the car to the car wash all by myself. :) Wearing a wedding ring does not take away basic life skills like washing a car or taking out the trash. Although that would be kinda nice... "Sorry honey. Married. You are going to have to carry in the case of bottled water yourself. Oh, and the light bulb in the closet is burned out. I'd change it myself, but you know..."

Anyways... the car wash. First they wrote on the window with a wax pencil, which Connor found hilarious. Then we went inside to pay and watch the cars get washed through the huge plate glass windows. Connor went and climbed up into the "big chair" while I paid. The cashier stapled a paper to my receipt and said "This is your claim check, you will need to pick up your car." Ok, that's fine.

I join Connor and we watch car after car go through the car wash. He was loving it. Wash the tires, wash the windows, spin so fast. Every once in a while a rouge bubble would spin off the brushes and hit the window... which was fantastic. While we are sitting there I realize I don't have any cash to tip the guys at the end. There is an ATM but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay a $3.00 ATM fee so that I can give a guy a $2.00 tip. So I get the bright idea to buy a soda, maybe I can get cash back at the register. So I got a Diet Dr. Pepper from the fountain. But I didn't have the option to get cash back, and the drink was gross, so that did nothing but waste $.94.

I was really stressing about not having a tip. I felt bad. I spent the next 15 minutes worrying about that moment when the guy smiles expectantly and I just say "Thanks!" and hop in my car. UG. We go outside and wait for them to finish up the van. I stand there sipping my disgusting soda telling myself that I did try to get some cash, so I'm not a horrible person. And besides, I'm sure not everyone tips. Tips are for something extra, they shouldn't be expected. How dare they expect me to tip! Make me feel guilty. I paid good money for this car wash, and then they expect me to pay another $2.00 to this guy just for doing is job! I'm doing a public service by not tipping!

And then the car is ready. Oh gosh. Smiling man standing at the front of my car. Avoid eye contact! I focus on Connor. In my haste to get out of there I walked around the wrong side of the car, so then I had to go back and put Connor in his seat. The guy followed me all the way around the car. He stood there while I snapped Connor in his seat. UG. So when I was done I said "I'm sorry I don't have any cash. I'll have to get you double next time."

"That's fine. I just need your claim check."
"oh, yeah. hehe." Ah, the claim check. Yes, I remember now. I'm an idiot.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Front Porch