Sunday, July 13, 2008

Mommy Dating

Being a stay at home mom makes you very aware of the exact amount of social interaction that you require. At least it does me. I recently read that seniors are happiest if they have 3 "play dates" a week. I can't imagine it's much different for stay at home moms. Maybe they could get by with a little less since they have the kiddos to fulfill their every need. (They do fulfill your every need don't they?) Someone should do a study.

So lately I haven't been getting anywhere near 3 play dates a week. In fact, I've been averaging about zero. This week I made an extra effort and had all 3. And yeah, it made a huge difference in my mood. I felt much better. But I need more friends if I'm going to maintain a 3 play date a week schedule. I mean, I don't think Jennifer wants me randomly showing up at her house twice a week. :)

About a year ago I made an analogy that making friends is like dating. I mean it is called a "play date" right. It's a date. But the more I try to make friends the more it really is like dating. The thing is that I was good at dating and I suck at making friends. So I'm going to try to take the dating approach to making friends. Maybe that will help me know "the rules". Maybe I'm taking it to seriously, but taking a laid back approach has made me exactly zero friends.

I hesitate to talk specifics in case things work out and one of my dating potentials actually reads this. But I guess relationships aren't much different regardless of the players. Boy or girl, it's hard to start a relationship with a stranger. A few weeks ago there was one mom at Chick-fil-A that seemed very nice. I don't remember her kid details but our kids played nice, and we just sat and chatted the whole time. It was fun. I thought it would be cool to get together again, but what do you do? It's weird to just be like "hey, here's my number, call me." But I guess I need to suck it up and do exactly that. That seems better than asking for her number. lol (see it's so like dating) At least then if she thinks I'm a freak she doesn't need to worry that I'm going to call. haha. She can just toss my number in the trash and forget all about me.

1 comments:

Kerrie said...

I started a very dear friendship just like you mentioned. I had moved to a new town and knew no-one. Our children "met" in the doctor's waiting room and played happily together for almost an hour while waiting. I suggested to my friend that she and her daughter might like to meet us at the park sometime so the girls could continue to play. As it happened we decided to meet the following afternoon.

That was about 11 years ago now. I'm so thankful I decided to be brave and make the first overtures towards friendship. Having children with you to do it is a great icebreaker.

Keep us posted as to how you go...

 
Copyright 2009 Front Porch