Monday, July 7, 2008

Dust Devil

I was consumed by a dust devil yesterday. I was putting Connor in his car seat in the Costco parking lot and Larry said "Here comes a dust devil!" and before I realized what he was saying a windy burst of dirt, sticks, and leaves surrounded me.

For those who are not fully aware of what a dust devil (or dirt devil; but that makes me think of a vacuum cleaner) is let me explain it. It is a wind that swirls around and around, like a very mini tornado, picking up dirt, gravel, sticks, leaves and what not. When one comes up on you its like 40 hair dryers blowing on you all at once and you have no choice but to close your eyes because of all the dirt blowing in your face.

Since I had the door to the van open a whole bunch of dirt got blown in the van. The dashboard was covered in gravel. And since it was blistering hot I was sweating so I had dirt and little sticks stuck to my back. lol. Such fun, living in the desert.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Front Porch