Friday, October 3, 2008

A day of asthma

Maddy woke up with an asthma attack this morning. I gave her a breathing treatment before school. I thought about keeping her home but went ahead and sent her hoping everything would be ok. I thought about sending her inhaler with her, but decided to send the tubing and a tube of albuterol with her instead. I know they have a nebulizer at school and it does seem more effective.

So off she goes....

I get a call about an hour later from the office saying "You can't send medication to school." First off, F.U. if I think my daughter is going to need her rescue inhaler I'm going to send it. Period. Secondly, I distinctly remember last year the nurse telling me I could send her inhaler with her. And third, she wasn't having an asthma attack right then so who cares? No one needs to do anything.

Anyways, so they call and say...

"You can't send medication to school"
"ok." I replied. Apparently this wasn't the response she was looking for because she then felt she needed to continue to chastise me for sending asthma medication to school with my asthmatic daughter. I don't know what she wanted me to say... I said ok. What else am I supposed to do? I'm not going to apologize. I can tell she wants something else from me so I explained that I had to give her a treatment this morning and I thought she might need it.
"Well we can't give it to her unless you sign a paper."
"ok" I say again. But real nice! So my daughter could be having an asthma attack and they have everything they need to help her and they won't. Super!
"Is she having an asthma attack?" I asked. They said no, and I said, "so I don't see what the big deal is then". To which she replied...
"I'll have the nurse call you when she gets in." Why? Is she going to tell me something different, something that this lady isn't telling me? No. "Is that ok?" She asks.
"I guess."
"Ok, bye" Click.

Then about 30 minutes later I get another call, I assume it's the nurse... nope.

"Hi this is so and so from such and such school. Your daughter is having trouble breathing." DUR!
"Well, I sent some medicine with her. Will you please give it to her?"
"I can't."
"So she is sitting there suffering and you have the tools to help her and you won't?"
"I can't for legal reasons."
"Even though I'm on the phone asking you to give her medication?"
"No, sorry"
"You understand how upsetting this is, that my daughter needs medical attention and you are refusing to help her."
"Well she isn't doing that bad. If she was in danger we would call 911"
"I'm on my way." Click.

I get there and sign their papers and bring Maddy home with me. I gave her another treatment. About an hour and half later she was having trouble again. So I called the nurse hotline that my health insurance has. I like them a lot. She talked to Maddy on the phone and could hear her wheezing and of course could hear her coughing so she said to call her plumologist and see if he could get her in today. She said he might suggest the ER. Gulp! She said if I can't get ahold of him to take her to Urgent Care at least. She really sounded like she wanted me to take her to the ER.

So I called and left a message for the dr. If he doesn't call back before Connor wakes up from his nap then I'm just going to take her down to Urgent Care, assuming she isn't better.

I'll let you know how it goes...

1 comments:

VerWaynia said...

Ugh, I just posted this week about our second asthma related ER trip - those are not fun!

I hope her breathing got better and you were able to avoid the ER!

 
Copyright 2009 Front Porch