Saturday, December 29, 2007

Woot Woot!

I painted my bedroom today. I love it. I don't have a very good record for picking out paint I actually like once it's on the wall. Only one room in the whole house hasn't needed repainting. The kitchen. Maddy's room and the spare room both have been repainted. The family room needs to be repainted but hasn't been yet. And Connor's room, eh, it's ok but I'm just not feeling it. I'll repaint it when he gets a little older. So I was pretty nervous. But I love it. Here, I'll post a pic.

Photobucket

It took exactly one gallon of paint. We kept saying how close it was going to be, how much it was going to suck to have to stop and go to Home Depot just to finish one square foot of wall space. But it finished it. I was using the brush to get the last bits out of the can to finish the touch ups. Of course now that we have cleaned up I can see all kinds of touch ups that we missed, but I am without paint. Oh well. When you come visit please don't look too closely. Especially around the door frame. :)

Connor made me laugh so hard tonight. He has one of those wooden train whistles and we were trying to show him how to use it. We could get him to blow air if the whistle wasn't near his mouth. But as soon as we would put it up to his lips he would just say "woot woot". OMG I was crying. Finally he would blow air but not hard enough to make any noise. Then he would hand it back so slobbery you could barely stand to put it to your mouth. But he was so cute, I had no choice but to wipe it on my shirt and continue on. He did eventually get a little bit of actual whistle blowing noise.

Ok, my recipe of the week. I got a Rachel Ray cookbook for Christmas and I'm very inspired. So I made this the other night. I actually diverged from my weekly menu and made a special trip to the grocery store just to make it. I know... CRAZY!

The sauce is to die for. I loved it. And if you notice it uses apple cider vinegar. So I now have a use for the bottle I bought to make that bad "Apples and Chicken" recipe I made a few months ago. Double bonus.

Honey Mustard BBQ Chicken

Ingredients
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 red onion chopped
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup prepared honey mustard
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon curry powder

Chicken
4 pieces bonelss, skinles chicken breast
4 bonless, skinless, chicken thighs
Vegetable oil
Salt and peper
Directions
1. To make the sauce, place a small saucepan over medium-high heat and add vegetable oil. Add red onions and saute, 3 to 5 minutes. Add vinegar and cook to reduce by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Add brown sugar and cook 1 minute to incorporate. Whisk broth, honey mustard, all spice, and curry powder.

Coat chicken with a drizzle of oil and some salt and pepper. Place chicken on hot grill and cook 4 to 5 minutes, then turn. Baste chicken liberally with sauce and grill another 5 minutes. Turn once again and baste. Cook 2 or 3 minutes more, then transfer chicken to a platter and serve.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Front Porch