Monday, June 16, 2008

Baseball

Maddy had baseball camp today. She was sooo excited to go. We signed her up because of a flier we got with her school papers during the last week of school. Whenever we get something like that I ask her if she wants to do it. I try not to discourage her from trying something. She said she wanted to go. So we signed her up and she exclaimed "I'm going to be the best basketball player in the whole world!" lol. Wrong sport honey, but good attitude.

So we pull up this morning and right away I knew this wasn't a very good idea. All the kids walking up were in full on baseball gear. Baseball pants, baseball shirts, cleats, hats, bat bags, water jugs, everything. Maddy was wearing a pink tank top and a pair of capris. Even the moms were hard core.

Anways, it started at 7:30 in the morning and it wasn't too bad, temperature wise. But it it got hot quick. I knew she was hating it out there in the blazing sun. It's supposed to be 115 today, so even at 8:00 in the morning it's still pretty hot. Probably over 100. They had them line up and do different things. Maddy was always last to go and she was hilarious. She is not coordinated at all. The other moms around me were cracking up watching her. I didn't mention that she was mine. lol. They weren't being mean, just saying how cute she was and laughing and laughing. It was pretty funny so I couldn't blame them. I don't know what else happened. I didn't really watch the whole thing, by about 8:15 I pretty much wanted to die it was so hot.

So when it finally ended she came slooooowly walking over to where the moms were waiting and I walked out to meet her.

"Did you have fun?!" I said, trying to sound upbeat but knowing full well she didn't.
"Yeah."
"You did?"
"Yeah, tomorrow I want to bring some water though"
"Yeah, I forgot water today. Tomorrow we will for sure." But I was thinking... "You are actually coming back tomorrow?"
"So were there any other girls?"
"No. And everyone was all 'oooohhh... a girl!'"
"Oh yeah, was that fun?"
"No, I felt embarrassed."
"Oh, I'm sorry. But you still had fun?"
"I had a little bit of fun, but it was all hot and sweaty. Do I have to come back?"
"Well, we signed up for 4 days."
"4 days!"
"Yeah, that means you have 3 days left."
"Oh, I don't think I want to come back."

So I don't know. I want her to still go, but I'm not surprised she doesn't want to go back. I can't say I would. So I'll probably let her quit. I think she should give it another chance, but I'm not going to force her. I didn't think she was going to be the best basketball player in the world anyways.

Update: She did go back today. I didn't influence her either way and she decided on her own she wanted to go back. I admire her bravery, I really do.

4 comments:

leezee52 said...

Very cute. My daughter started out at the Boys and Girls Club Softball when she was about 8. When she was at 2nd base ready to run she said to the girl on 2nd base "Look we have the same watch" So funny!!! I think she just wanted to talk to the girl and discuss fashion.

Kerrie said...

Oh bless her for getting out there and trying hard, that was so brave of her.

I'm with you, I think I'd let her quit...it doesn't sound like it is what you imagined it would be when you signed up for it.

She deserves an award for trying...!!

wendy said...

Wow - she sounds so much like my daughter who tried baseball at the age of 4. She was not impressed and wanted to quit mid-season!

Glad she went...is she still going?

Burgh Baby said...

That's so fun! Little kids playing ball is the best, even if they don't always "get" it.

 
Copyright 2009 Front Porch