Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A toe injury

I busted my toe on the coffee table. So typical I know. But it really hurts. Like, for serious... as Maddy would say.

You know that scene in Dumb and Dumber when they pick up the hitchhiker but it's really the mob guy who is trying to kill them? And Jim Carey says "Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?" and then screams into his ear. Remember that? Well that is what Connor was doing to me. Just yelling in my ear for whatever two year old reason he had concocted.

Finally I had had enough and jumped up off the couch to go bring him into time out. And on the way... SLAM! Pinky toe meet coffee table leg. Honestly, at the time it barely registered. That's how annoyed I was with the screaming. It wasn't until like a half hour later that I realized... "Dang. My toe hurts!" It hurt. The two toes next to it hurt. Up the outside of my shin almost up to my knee hurt.

So I was limped around the grocery store. I limped around the house. I limped back and forth from my bed to Connor's room about 30 times last night. (What was up with that? I don't know)

When I woke up this morning it didn't hurt. So I tried to make a fist with my toes... you know, to try it out. Oh yeah, there it is. Didn't want to relish in the non pain for very long? Couldn't lay there for a minute and enjoy the pain free foot? No, have to test it out. See if it still hurts. Yeah, it does. But not as much... so we are on the road to recovery. Although I still feel like I have an uncooked lima bean in my shoe.

And speaking of an uncooked lima beans. I had to go to the post office today. Every year I try so hard to mail my stuff early so that I don't have to brave the holiday post office crowds, and every year I end up there just days before Christmas. I listed my old text books online the day before yesterday. Not thinking that they would sell in a mere 12 hours. Who knew?

So lets peek in the post office window shall we? See the two year old standing at the trash can pushing the little the swinging flap? That's Connor. Oh and the swinging door on the trash squeaks. Can you hear it? Squeak. Squeak. Squeak. Squeak. Squeak. Squeak. "Oh my God Connor! Please stop that!" See the 7 year old girl flitting around and chatting it up with the 85 year old lady? That's Maddy. And see the overtired half crazy lady standing in the 50 minute line with a Calculus text book, a Mathlab.com access code, a set of keys, a purse, a helicopter coat, and an uncooked lima bean in her shoe? That's me.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Front Porch