Monday, December 22, 2008

A boy named Shane

I was literally sitting here looking at a blank screen trying to think of something to write about when there was a knock at the door. I opened it and an idea came in, took off its shoes, and ran upstairs.

I swear to God.

This story begins on last Friday morning at the bus stop. There was a new mom. She was there talking to another mom when I walked up. The "old" (haha) mom introduced us and said the new mom was new in the neighborhood and was looking for someone to watch her son in the morning before school and get him on the bus. I volunteered.

His name is Shane. He's in first grade... just like Maddy, and super cute... just like Maddy. He will get here at 6:45 which isn't unreasonable, and will come fed. It's only an hour a day and the extra money will certainly help out.

It's not totally out of the blue. It was actually something I was thinking about doing before this school year started. I figured there must be moms who work that need someone to watch their kid in the morning. I had talked myself out of it thinking that the money wouldn't be worth the effort. but then it just falls into my lap. I mean, she did all but knock on my door and offer me the job. How often does something like that happen? It just seemed like it was meant to be.

So fast forward to right now. I'm sitting here staring at a blank screen and there is a knock at the door. I open it and Shane is standing there. I peek my head out the door looking for his mom and he is in, shoes off, and heading upstairs before I can comprehend what is going on. No mom by the way. He was like a breeze. Open the door and a crack and whooshes right in.

A little investigation and apparently his grandma is watching him and she said it was ok if he came over. Apparently it doesn't matter if it's ok with me or not. lol. I suppose as Maddy gets older I have to be more and more prepared for stuff like this.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Front Porch