Saturday, September 26, 2009

The advice of strangers

Hello! This week flew by like the neighbors past my house. (Like a blur.)

Connor pooped his pants at school on Monday. Poor guy. Here's the kicker though. They aren't allowed to wipe his butt. Which of course, being 3, he can't really wipe it either. So where does that leave us? With a poopy butt. I felt so bad.

On Wed or Thurs of last week he had pooped at school (in the potty) and they didn't help him wipe. He was covered in poop when he got home. I asked him if he had asked for help to wipe. He said he hadn't. So the next day I told them that someone needs to help him if he poops and they told me that they don't wipe the kids.

They said "You need to be working on it at home with him... it's part of potty training." But I heard "You have really failed at potty training him if he can't wipe himself. We told you that he needed to be fully trained. If he comes home covered in poop it's all your fault."

I really do understand why they have decided not to wipe the kids. But other than being a sad commentary on society, it's gross. Connor had walked around for several hours covered in poop. I mean, come on. Why is that ok?

So I think that experience is what caused him to poop his pants 4 days later. I'm sure he was trying to wait til he got home. And we have been working with him at home. I'm trying to redeem myself.

This whole poop situation was hot on the heels of being chastised at the dentist for allowing Maddy to brush her teeth alone. Alone! I'm a terrible person, I know. I took her for a cleaning and they said "You should still be brushing her teeth for her. We recommend the parents help until the child can write their name in cursive, legibly." But I heard "You are such a lazy and inattentive parent. What the heck do you do all day? Obviously, a 7 year old isn't able to brush her own teeth. All her teeth are going to rot and it will be all your fault."

So, I am supposed to allow my 3 year old to wipe himself and brush my 7 year old's teeth. Ok, yeah, that's logical. How about I just keep doing what I'm doing and they can deal with it? Yeah, that sounds better. I think I'll do that.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Front Porch