Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Minor successes at 4:30 am

So couple of months ago I talked about how getting Connor to go pee by himself during the night. And how I think it may be the last hurdle to me sleeping through the night on a permanent basis. We still haven't been having much luck with that until last night.

We had been making such a big deal about him going potty by himself that I think he was feeling like he couldn't call us. Which wasn't true. We still went each time he called but it was always accompanied with a lecture about how big boys go potty alone. This finally came to a head the past few mornings with him wetting the bed because he won't go potty alone and he won't call me.

I asked him why he didn't call me or go potty. He said that it was 6:00 and he was too scared to go potty by himself. Which I don't understand because every morning at 7:00 he comes bouncing into my room. So it's too scary at 6:59, but not at 7:00? I guess my "Don't wake Mommy til 7:00" training took hold a little too well.

So I told him he can go potty in my bathroom during the night if he wants. He liked that. I'm not sure how that is less scary since it's much farther from his room, and he has to walk right past the hall bathroom to get there, but he seemed to go for it. Maybe he just wants us close in case there are technical difficulties. Maybe a wardrobe malfunction.

Well, apparently that is what he wanted to hear because when I came home from school last night Larry said that between bedtime and 9:30 Connor went potty alone about 27 times. That's fine, I figured that would happen once he embraced this new found freedom.

The real test came this morning at about 4:30. I woke up to Connor in our room saying "Um... Guys?" Larry was the first one conscious.

"Do you need to go potty, bub?"
"Yeah."
"Ok, go ahead."

And he did! I even got a kiss on the way back to his bed. Love it.

He is still going to wake me up but I don't have to get out of bed. We are one mini step closer to no more midnight potty breaks.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Front Porch