Saturday, January 16, 2010

Off to preschool

I signed Connor up for preschool. I've been kinda thinking about it since the end of last semester since he loved the preschool at MCC so much. He even told Larry that he likes it better when he goes to school too. He just loves to do stuff. He loves to be active, and learn, and be around other kids. I felt bad that he was going to be stuck home with me for another year and half.

They have a preschool at Maddy's school. My friend is an aide in one of the classes there and she is always talking about the fun stuff they do. I knew Connor would LOVE it. So on Thursday I called over there to see how much it cost and if they had an opening. I figured they would be full and it would be expensive.

Nope.

It's $190 a month for 3 days a week. Which isn't too bad. It's a little more than they charged at MCC and it's for fewer hours per week. But still, it's not terrible and it's actually at the school that he will be going to Kindergarten. They had one opening in the AM class so I went right down there and signed him up. Like RIGHT down there. I was racing an imaginary mom who knew also knew about the very last opening. But she isn't as put together as I am. Her son isn't as well behaved as mine. So while she was trying to find her keys and struggling with her out of control toddler, I was already on my way.

First I had to go the district headquarters to submit my application and pay my money. Then I had to go the school and fill out a stack of paperwork. This is a public school after all. I might be paying with my own after tax money, but it's still a government agency. And with the government comes plenty of paperwork. I would think they would know my name, Connor's name, Connor's age, his birthday, our address, and every contact number I have after the first 10 pages. But I guess not since I had to fill everything out on every single page. And then they just put it in a folder and file it. No one even looked at it. Whatever.

Once I had killed a tree and paid my money I asked if we could meet the teacher and see the room. No. That's it.. just "No". Not that I could make an appointment. Not that I could come back at 3:00. Just "No." It was after Connor's nap and I didn't feel like pushing the issue right then. I just left it at that.

But they are crazy if they think I'm going to send my 3 year old off with someone that I've never even had eye contact with. Sorry, ain't gunna happen. So first thing Friday morning I went back down there and said I was there to visit Maddy's class. Which I did.. technically. I went down there and gave her a hug. Then, as I was leaving, I just happened upon the preschool class and just by coincidence came across Connor's new teacher. So weird!

She is very sweet and wasn't at all offended by my appearance. She introduced Connor to the class and gave me a big stack of papers that explained everything about her class. AND it also happens to be the same class that my friend works in. We are all excited about that.

Connor in school means that I will be home alone. ALONE. Which is truly strange. I have mixed feelings about it. I'm excited to have this bit of freedom, but I also feel like I'm losing a part of myself. Who am I if I don't have Connor following me everywhere? Two whole hours, three days a week to do anything I want. It will be nice when school starts. I can get homework done, or work stuff, or clean. Maybe I can even get through this semester without having a breakdown. Wouldn't that be nice?

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Front Porch