Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Murderer on the Loose

There was a murder by my house.  One subdivision over a lady was shot in her home at point blank range.  Murdered. 

I didn't know her but I have a friend whose kids knew her kids.  She had 4 kids.  She was killed at about 3:00 in the afternoon, right when her Jr. High student was coming home.  I just think about how this past summer was the last summer she will spend with her kids.  How she went school clothes shopping for the last time.  How she got up in the morning, made lunches, sent her kids off to school like a normal day.  Not knowing it would be the last time they would see each other.  She was probably waiting for them to come home not knowing she would be dead by the time they got there.  My heart is breaking for them.

The killer was her daughters boyfriend.  Or ex-boyfriend maybe.  I don't know the details but she had probably told the daughter to break up with him because he was bad news.  Probably violent.  And does it make it better that it wasn't just a random crime?  Not for them it doesn't, but for me it does.  At least I'm safe from this particular horror... for now. 

The kid was on the loose for about 2 hours.  They thought he might be hiding in our subdivision.  There were cops EVERYWERE.  They had so much trouble finding him because all the schools were letting out right then and there were kids all over the place.  Even the sniffer dogs were having trouble keeping his scent because of all the people walking every direction.  Of course this is all happening right when my kids are getting off the bus at 3:45.

Which only makes me think back to just last week when the bus driver let my kids off at the wrong bus stop.  I felt like I was being crazy for getting so upset about it.  I felt like everyone was snickering behind my back for how mad I was. What did I think, that a murderer was hiding around the corner?  Well... yeah, maybe.  And then 5 days later there really is a murderer hiding in our subdivision.  So there!  I told you so!

1 comments:

Bret @ Hope to Prosper said...

It all sounds pretty senseless.

I'm glad the murder rate has dropped sharply the past couple of years. There are fewer victims, friends and family members that have to deal with this type of pain.

 
Copyright 2009 Front Porch