Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Day by day

"Mommy look! I have two and half boo boos."
And sure enough, three scratches on his ankle, two long, and one short. 2.5 boo boos if I've ever seen them.

His hands are his snappers, and his legs are his chunkers. And that's how life is when you're 4.

I woke up yesterday morning to a sweet kiss on my cheek, only one of two per day that I get voluntarily. The other is before bed. But when I opened my eyes I saw instantly that my baby had slipped away a little more in the night. Clearly something was different around the chin, neck, shoulder area. He grew. An absolutely imperceptible amount. An amount only a mother could see... but there it was.

"Bub... you grew while you were sleeping!"
"I know! Someday I will be bigger than Daddy!"

And don't I know it. Someday he will be bigger than Daddy. Inch by inch. Day by day. He will grow to be bigger than Daddy. Everyday I lose my baby and gain a full grown man. But that's life isn't it? We all move along our paths at such a slow rate it doesn't seem like we make any progress at all. That is until we look back and see just how far we've come.

We were at Fuddruckers the other day... or Fun Wreckers and Connor calls it. And we sat in the Elvis themed booth. Connor thought the pictures of Elvis were pictures of our friend Brad. I'm only mentioning this because when I read this later... and I will... it will make me laugh all over again.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Front Porch