Friday, December 18, 2009

Worms

Today I dug a bag of worms out of the trash and kept it in my kitchen for several hours. On purpose. Why?

It started last night. We went out to get pizza last night and as we were waiting for the food to arrive Maddy mentioned that she has worms in her backpack.

Apparently they "grew" worms in dirt at school. She assured us that it's ok because they are in a zip lock bag.

"But you can't leave live animals in a plastic bag, they will die."
"I poked holes in it."
"But the worms could crawl out through the holes."
"No, the holes are at the top."
"But I'm sure your backpack is laying any ole' which way right now. And probably went in every direction on the way home from school."

So worms in her backpack in an unknown state.

When I got up this morning there was a brown paper bag with "Madison's worms" written on it with black marker. A peek inside revealed a ziplock bag (with holes poked in it at the top) filled with dirt and, I assumed, a worm or two. I told her that if she wants to set the worms free she better do it.

But after I came in from putting her on the bus I found the bag still sitting on the counter. So I just took the whole thing and put it in the trash.

But by lunch I was actually feeling bad. She is sentimental and if she thinks I killed her worms she will probably be upset. I took the bag out of the trash and put it back on the counter so she could "set them free" when she got home for school.

Cause that's the kind of mom I am.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Front Porch