Thursday, July 2, 2009

Unbelievable!

Ok, so a quick recap. I told you right here how we have very strong suspicions that our neighbor's hit Larry's car on Saturday night. I told you how we were so concerned with their driving skills that we ordered surveillance cameras for the front of our house because we knew they were going to damage our property, but the cameras haven't arrived. I told you how we have complained to the association every day for two weeks about the fact that they have this big panel truck parked across the street from our house and all the trouble it has caused us.

I told you all that.

So we have dealt with the fact that Larry is going to have a big side swipe mark on his car. It's beyond frustrating when your property gets damaged by someone who was being irresponsible and you can't do anything about it. But we know we can't change it so we had moved on. Honestly, we had.

Tonight after dinner we were sitting on the couch watching TV. The front window was open and the only thing I can see when I look out is that big white truck sitting across the street. I'm not really paying attention but it catches my eye when it starts to back up. I say casually to Larry "There he goes." I'm watching him back up... and back up faster... and back up faster. My breath starts to pull in as he gets closer and closer to the van. And then just when I think "I can't believe this, he is in our yard!" It comes to a very abrupt stop. Too abrupt. I say "He just hit the van!" although I didn't honestly believe that. I thought maybe he slammed on the brakes. But before the words are even out of my mouth Larry and I both jump off the couch and race to the front window. I still can't see the back of the van but the truck is just sitting there... awkwardly close to the van.

We both go rushing outside with the kids following closely behind us. Sure enough. There is a huge ugly caved in spot in the tailgate. Next stop... the truck's drivers door. No one is inside! So Larry starts over to the neighbor's house and I go inside for the camera. I'm taking pictures of the scene and Larry yells from the neighbor's house. "Ashley! Call the cops!"

So I do.

"Mesa police department."
"Yeah, my car was parked in my driveway and someone just backed into it."
"Someone drove into your driveway and hit your car?"
"Yeah."
"Your car was parked in your driveway and someone hit it?"
"Yeah."
"Someone hit your car while it was parked in your driveway?"
"YES!"

Surprisingly the guy who drives the truck actually came to the door and comes outside. In another amazing turn of events he actually admits that the parking brake must have let go which caused the truck to roll backwards and hit our van. In fact, it's happened before. "Oh well thank you so much for parking your huge ass, messed up, has a tendency to roll away at any moment, truck across the street from my house!" I'm actually thankful that my van was there to block the thing from coming through the wall. Jeeze. What happens next time?

He proceeds to spend the next 30 minutes telling us what a bad day HE is having!

So the cops arrive. Turns out that his unregistered truck is also uninsured. How nice. But the cops can't give him a ticket, or tow the truck... because he wasn't driving it at the time of the accident. No joke. In fact, the cop did us a huge favor by even taking a police report since they aren't supposed to if the accident happens on private property. Can you believe that?!

Dude hits our parked car with an unregistered, uninsured truck but the cops can't do anything about it at all! They aren't even supposed to take a report. Insane.

Oh, the heart melting part. The cop is there doing his thing and we are all kinda just standing around pissed off at each other. Connor goes inside and comes out with this tool box. OMG I just about died. He is so cute. He was going to fix it for us.

So I dont' really know where to go from here. I have to call the insurance tomorrow. I called today but it was 6:58 by the time everything got settled down and they close at 7:00. By the time I got through the automatic voice thingy it was after 7:00. Sigh. Which is just as well because if I had gotten anymore bad news today I would have lost it.

Our cameras should be here on Monday. Just in time to catch the cat pooping in our yard.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Front Porch